Lately I have been doing some research on how to SEO like a pro or whatever you call it. Ok I have been doing a lot of research on the topic. I have been trying to finally understand this whole notion of SEO to gain better traffic with higher Google rankings. Annnnnd on a side note I am looking into starting another website where I will have a team of writers writing for me. I will likely switch this to Monday Wednesday, Friday posting schedule and the other site do Tuesday Thursday. Without further adieu here are the 5 SEO tips as promised.
Online, one of the most significant keys to success is getting website traffic. The more visitors you have, the better your sales and profits, if that is your goal. Presumably you have a niche and you know your keywords (these are still a work in progress on this site and my new site), and regularly conduct keyword research to stay on top of what’s popular. Based on those assumptions here are five quick and easy SEO tips to get website traffic fast!
Tip #1 Make sure you’re actually tagging your keywords ie. SEO Like A Pro.
Do you spend a lot of time optimizing your content and then neglect to tag them on your webpage? Tags are where search engines look and if there are no tags they’ll pass right by your web pages. Here’s a quick brief on tags.
There are a number of tag types including,
* Title tags. Title tags are quite possibly the most important place to situate your keywords. Here’s what they look like – <title>Primary keyword phrase here. </title>
Your title tag is where you place your primary keyword or keyword phrase. The sentence will describe your business in less than 90 characters.
* Header Tags. Header tags are next in order of importance to search engines. They’re ranked in order of importance and look like this – <h1>Primary and/or Secondary keywords here</h1>
The “1” designates this header as the most important header on the page.
* Meta Tags. Meta tags provide the small descriptive text found underneath the title tag on the search engine results page. Like title tags these should be kept brief, informative and up to date.
* Alt Tags. Alt tags are used to provide a text description of a graphic. Each graphic on your site should have a description and an alt tag.
Tip #2 Make sure that you give your readers content regularly
Content is essential for traffic and a top search engine ranking. Content is what search engine spiders look for and index – without it there’s nothing to index or rank. Give visitors and search engines a reason to visit and index your site. Make a commitment to provide regular and optimized content and sit back and watch your traffic soar.
Tip #3 Procure valuable and relevant incoming links
The more websites which link to your webpages the more valuable search engines perceive you to be, though not all links are created equal. Search engines give more leverage to links from sites which are popular and credible and from sites which are relevant to your website topic.
There are different types of links.
– A direct link looks like a basic website address, for example, www.ThisThatandtheMBA.com
– A text link occurs when the webpage address is embedded in the text. Readers simply click on the link and are redirected to a new website page.
– If the link is to an internal web page, for example an article published on a website, rather than the home page, it is called a “deep link.”
You can encourage linking to your website by:
* Adding content to your site.
* Submitting to article directories Web 2.0 directories. There are some services available that will submit to them for you but you always get what you pay for.
* Publishing press releases- This is something that I have yet to do. I do subscribe to Help A Reporter Out and receive their daily emails. I have been published personally a few times on MSN but nothing related to the site yet.
* Blogging and participating in social networking forums, chat rooms and social networking sites.
Tip #4 Be Social! Tweet Tweet
Now more than ever before, internet marketing is about building a community. Whether you offer a forum on your website or you participate in social networking sites, social networking is a valuable traffic generating tactic. Sites like Facebook and Twitter can be powerful tools for generating links and traffic to your site – create a profile and then post comments, links to your site and ideas which generate conversation.
Get involved – many chat rooms and forums are industry specific, find those which cater to your industry, and begin participating. Speak to and connect with a highly targeted audience.
Tip #5 Advertise for more exposure and traffic
Advertising, when handled strategically, can be used to promote your content and products or services. PPC advertising is often the tool of choice because you control the advertising budget on a daily basis and have the tools to test and track your advertising efforts. Once you’ve honed your PPC ads the return on investment can be phenomenal in terms of traffic and purchases.
For maximum results, create a traffic and SEO strategy. Outline your plan and your goals and then take the necessary action. Take advantage of these five traffic and search engine tips to boost your business.
There you have it, now you can SEO like a pro…
What tips do you have to SEO like a pro?